when you heat food above a certain temp (generally around 118+)
the poor little enzymes begin to perish by the droves.
Most raw food, like our bodies, is very perishable. When raw foods are exposed to temperatures above 118 degrees, they start to rapidly break down, just as our bodies would if we had a fever that high. One of the constituents of foods which can break down are enzymes. Enzymes help us digest our food. Enzymes are proteins though, and they have a very specific 3-dimensional structure in space. Once they are heated much above 118 degrees, this structure can change.
Once enzymes are exposed to heat, they are no longer able to provide the function for which they were designed. Cooked foods contribute to chronic illness, because their enzyme content is damaged and thus requires us to make our own enzymes to process the food. The digestion of cooked food uses valuable metabolic enzymes in order to help digest your food. Digestion of cooked food demands much more energy than the digestion of raw food. In general, raw food is so much more easily digested that it passes through the digestive tract in 1/2 to 1/3 of the time it takes for cooked food.
Eating enzyme-dead foods places a burden on your pancreas and other organs and overworks them, which eventually exhausts these organs. Many people gradually impair their pancreas and progressively lose the ability to digest their food after a lifetime of ingesting processed foods.
The following digestive enzyme supplements aid digestion:
- AMYLASE works to breakdown carbohydrates i.e. starches, sugars
- BROMELAIN taken from pineapple plant, helps break down proteins
- HCL hydrochloric acid stimulates pancreatic secretion, activates pepsin and sterilizes the stomach from bacteria and parasites
- LACTASE needed to break down lactose found in milk products
- LIPASE works to break down fats into fatty acids and glycerol
- OX BILE improves fat digestion, stimulates bile flow, aids gallbladder
- PANCREATIN contains protease, amylase, and lipase, functions in the intestine and in the blood
- PAPAIN extracted from papaya fruit, aids in protein digestion
- PEPSIN breaks down proteins, function depends on availability of HCL
- PROTEASE works to breakdown protein into amino
(ever tired after eating a big meal?
that's you working hard to digest)
by adding more raw foods with enzymes intact-
you take a load off the digestion process thereby
making you feel more energetic right away.
i have done many raw food chef certification classes
and just raw food classes every one every time
walks out of my kitchen marveling at how good they feel
and even though they ate a lot of food with all the tastings-
they were not 'stuffed'
The food enzyme theory in a nutshell
- That the enzymes present in raw foods are of significant help in digesting the foods themselves once they are put into the human digestive system.
- That cooking destroys these "food enzymes," forcing the body to produce more of its own digestive enzymes than would otherwise be necessary to digest the food.
- That the body has a finite lifetime "enzyme potential" for manufacturing digestive enzymes, which is important for preserving health and longevity; and a portion of which is unrecoverably "used up" in producing otherwise unnecessary digestive enzymes each time cooked foods are eaten.
- That enzymes in raw food also carry the "life force," which can be transferred to the body, enhancing vitality and longevity; and that the body must use up some of its own "life force"/
"enzyme potential" to compensate whenever cooked foods (that have no life force/ live enzymes) are eaten.
but just because you are eating raw food- don't forget the little enzyme
i remember reading of Clent Manech's amazing raw food transformation
and was reminded of it this morning by my rfr friend jodi
and wanted to share one of the points he made about the enzyme supplements:
find a broad spectrum formula/enzyme-active. take them to help take the load off of the liver. enzymes help soak up the poisons stored in the fat cells rapidly dumping in the blood stream as you lose weight. it's part of detox.food enzymes are also essential when eating cooked food. cooking kills the natural enzymes. taking a supplement will help your food digest easier and help your colon to pass the food.
think it will help you?
look what raw food (especially green smoothies) and enzymes did for him:
at 400.6 starting weight
then after 20 short weeks at 273.4 pounds
From 401 down to 176 pounds in
12 months. Lost 225 pounds.
No diabetes. No fatty liver.
he is just one of many many people who have turned around
their lives and have been able to really begin living fully again.
wow is all i can say! remember living foods are best!
(no, not live chickens etc...-by now i hope you know i mean vegan foods)
if you are not doing it already-
try adding green smoothies and enzymes to your 100 day challenge
(well in 4 days we can call it the 50 day challenge if you haven't begun yet)
have a lovely day all-