i just got done making a new batch of 4 thieves oil.
(went to health food store bought .5 oz bottle each of
lemon, cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, & rosemary oil...
mix in glass jar, pour back into bottles, label)
i came across a wonderfully informative article that i wanted
to be sure to share with you. it approaches why the oils work
on a scientific level
i love it!
i am posting the article for it's educational value
and not to push all my peeps buy the product...
do what you think is good in your own eyes...
Harvard and John Hopkins Universites have done studies, the conclusions… 50% of buildings, old and new, have mold. Resulting in a 50-100% increase in respiratory problems.The Mayo Clinic says – 1 in 7 Americans suffers from acute fungal sinustis, resulting from exposure to mold.
Read Mold remedy FAQ’s.
Effect of a Diffused Essential Oil Blend on Bacterial Bioaerosols
Author: S. C. Chao, D. G. Young, and C. J. Oberg
Journal: Journal of Essential Oil Research 10, 517523 (Sept/Oct 1998)
Location: Weber State University, Ogden, UT
Abstract: A proprietary blend of oils containing cinnamon, rosemary, clove, eucalyptus, and lemon was tested for its antibacterial activity against airborne Micrococcus luteus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Staphylococcus aureus.
The bacteria cultures were sprayed in an enclosed area, and Thieves was diffused for a given amount of time. There was an 82% reduction in M. luteus bioaerosol, a 96% reduction in the P. aeruginosa bioaerosol, and a 44% reduction in the S. aureus bioaerosol following 10 minutes of exposure.
Conclusion: Diffusion of the oil blend, Thieves, can significantly reduce the number of aerosol-borne bacteria.
Eliminate Mold and Keep it from coming back with Thieves essential oil and Thieves Household Cleaner
How much should I order to get started?
1 Bottle of the Thieves Oil Blend -15 ml
1 Thieves Household Cleaner
1 Cold Air Diffuser
These items are sufficient for about 1,000 square feet of space
Note: Requirements may vary depending on the level of the mold infestation, as well as the size and layout of the rooms.
The Black Plague and the Story of Thieves
As the bubonic plague decimated Europe in the year 1413, four thieves were captured and charged with robbing the dead and dying victims. When the thieves were tried, the magistrate offered leniency if they would reveal how they resisted contracting the infection as they performed their gruesome acts. They explained that they were perfumers and spice traders and told of a special concoction of aromatic herbs, including cloves and rosemary, that they rubbed on their hands, ears, and temples.
Thus, the proprietary Thieves essential oil blend was created based on research of the concoction used by the thieves of the 15th century.
Studies and Research
In 1997, studies conducted at Weber State University showed the Thieves essential oil blend to have a 99.96% success rate against airborne bacteria. The bacteria cultures were sprayed in an enclosed area, the Thieves oil blend was diffused for a given amount of time (this can be duplicated in the home using a cold-air diffuser).
Research conducted at Weber State University and Brigham Young University by D. Gary Young indicates that most viruses, fungi, and bacteria cannot live in the presence of most essential oils, especially those high in phenols, carvacrol, thymol, and terpenes.
(Black Mold on sheetrock)
This chart shows the effectiveness after using – a Hosiptal Disinfectant, a Fungicide, and Bleach (far left). The center shows the results after diffusing Thieves essential oil for 24 hours. On the far right are the results 2 weeks after the initial diffusing of Thieves essential oil (even though the Thieves was only diffused once for 24 hours, it kept killing the molds – Stachybotrys, Aspergillus, and Cladosporium).
If you would like more information please see
Manage Bacteria, Mold & Viruses – The Battle Against Harmful Germs
The Thieves product line provides a full-spectrum force to fight enemy combatants on all fronts without harsh chemicals and medicines. Whether in the air, on surroundings, or inside or outside the body, Thieves products provide powerful antiseptic action with substances NOT toxic humans or the environment.
Many studies have shown that certain essential oils are often more effective against germs than harsh chemicals and drugs. This sample listing demonstrates how the use of Thieves products offer practical and flexible approaches to manage bacteria, fungi and viruses.
Essential Oil of Lemon
According to Jean Valnet, MD, the vaporized essence of lemon can kill meningococcus bacteria in 15 minutes, typhoid bacilli in one hour, Staphylococcus aureus in two hours, and Pneumococcus bacteria within three hours. Even a 0.2% solution of lemon oil can kill diphtheria bacteria in 20 minutes and inactivate tuberculosis. Essential Oils Desk Reference, 3rd Ed, p63
The proprietary therapeutic-grade essential oil blend in Thieves consists of: Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lemon and Rosemary.
Science on the effects of Therapeutic-grade Essential Oils in Thieves:
Effective Against: bacteria
Compounds from Syzygium aromaticum inhibit growth of oral pathogens Streptococcus mutans, Actinomyces viscosus, P. gingivalis, and P. intermedia.
Vapors of cinnamon bark oil prove to be a potent fungitoxicant against fungi which cause respiratory tract mycoses: Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus fumigatus, Aspergillus nidulans, Aspergillus flavus, Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, Candida pseudotropicalis, and Histoplasma capsulatum.
Cinnamon bark oil, a potent fungitoxicant against fungi causing respiratory tract mycoses.
Singh HB, Srivastava M, Singh AB, Srivastava AK.
Centre for Biochemical Technology, Delhi, India.
1: Allergy. 1995 Dec;50(12):995-9.
Cinnamic aldehyde has been identified as the active fungitoxic constituent of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) bark oil. The fungitoxic properties of the vapours of the oil/active constituent against fungi involved in respiratory tract mycoses, i.e., Aspergillus niger, A. fumigatus, A. nidulans A. flavus, Candida albicans, C. tropicalis, C. pseudotropicalis, and Histoplasma capsulatum, were determined in vitro as minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC), minimum lethal concentration (MLC), inoculum density sustained, and exposure duration for fungicidal action at MIC and higher doses, as well as effect of incubation temperatures on fungitoxicity. It is concluded that these inhalable vapours appear to approach the ideal chemotherapy for respiratory tract mycoses. Publication Types: Comparative Study PMID: 8834832 [PubMed.gov - indexed for MEDLINE]
Cinnamon oil caused inhibition of growth and aflatoxin production in Aspergillus parasiticus.
1: J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 1994;13(1):67–72
Inhibition of growth and aflatoxin production in Aspergillus parasiticus by essential oils of selected plant materials.
Tantaoui-Elaraki A, Beraoud L. Department of Food Microbiology and Biotechnology, Hassan II Institute for Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Rabat-Instituts, Morocco.
We studied the effect of 13 chemically different essential oils (EO) on the mycelial growth of and aflatoxin synthesis by Aspergillus parasiticus. Cinnamon, thyme, oregano, and cumin EO were able to stop mycelial growth at only 0.1% in the medium, while curcumin, ginger, lemon, and orange EO were unable to inhibit totally the growth even at 1% concentration. Coriander, black pepper, mugwort, bay, and rosemary EO caused the growth to stop at concentrations between 0.2 and 1%. The EO most active upon mycelial growth were also the most active against aflatoxinogenesis. However, aflatoxin synthesis was inhibited by all the EO at higher extent than the mycelial growth. Publication Types: Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov’t PMID: 7823297 [PubMed.gov - indexed for MEDLINE]
Cinnamon essential oil caused inhibition of growth and aflatoxin production in Aspergillus parasiticus.
Vapors of cinnamon bark essential oil prove to be a potent fungitoxicant against fungi which cause respiratory tract mycoses: Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus fumigatus, Aspergillus nidulans, Aspergillus flavus, Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, Candida pseudotropicalis (Candida kefyr), and Histoplasma capsulatum.
Allergy. 1995 Dec;50(12):995-9. Related Articles, Links
Cinnamon bark oil, a potent fungitoxicant against fungi causing respiratory tract mycoses. Singh HB, Srivastava M, Singh AB, Srivastava AK. Centre for Biochemical Technology, Delhi, India.
Cinnamic aldehyde has been identified as the active fungitoxic constituent of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) bark oil. The fungitoxic properties of the vapours of the oil/active constituent against fungi involved in respiratory tract mycoses, i.e., Aspergillus niger, A. fumigatus, A. nidulans A. flavus, Candida albicans, C. tropicalis, C. pseudotropicalis, and Histoplasma capsulatum, were determined in vitro as minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC), minimum lethal concentration (MLC), inoculum density sustained, and exposure duration for fungicidal action at MIC and higher doses, as well as effect of incubation temperatures on fungitoxicity. It is concluded that these inhalable vapours appear to approach the ideal chemotherapy for respiratory tract mycoses.
following are some of the uses & proportions to give you an idea:
FOR THE ALL-NATURAL HOME: THIEVES HOUSEHOLD CLEANER AND STAY WITHIN YOUR BUDGET
One capful = 1/2 TBSP Thieves Household Cleaner costs 37 cents per capful wholesale. Thieves Booklet
SUPER HAND CLEANER
POTS + PANS
GLASS + WINDOWS
Internal use tips
Try these simple suggestions to incorporate Thieves
in the body for extra protection.
+ Add 2–3 drops of Thieves into a capsule and take daily.
+ Add 1–2 drops into a spoonful of Agave.
+ Put 1–2 drops onto a piece of bread.
+ Add 1–2 drops to a glass of rice or almond milk.
+ Drop 1–2 drops directly onto your tongue.
Special Antibiotic Formula: In a OO capsule combine 10-12 drops of Thieves Essential Oil Blend with 6-8 drops of Oregano, and 2 drops of Frankincense.
Thieves Household Cleaner Proportion Guide
One capful of Thieves Cleaner = 1 tsp. Best if used with purified water (do not use water that contains chlorine).
The GOAL is a Chemical Free Environment
A. All purpose Thieves Cleaner in a spray bottle: 1 capful Thieves Cleaner to 1 qt water
B. Light Degreasing: 1 capful Thieves Cleaner to 3 cups of water
C. Medium Degreasing: 1 capful Thieves Cleaner to 2 cups water
D. Heavy Degreasing: 1 capful
E. Window and glass cleaner: 1 capful
F. Hand cleaner: capful
G. Dishwasher: 1 capful
H. Pot and Pans: 1 capful of
I. Floors: 1 capful
J. Walls: 1 capful
K. Fabrics: 1 capful
L. Laundry: Depending on size of washer, use 1 to 2 capfuls of
M. Carpet: 1 capful
1. Dilute with V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex and apply to cuts or open wounds to prevent infection and promote healing.
2. Mix with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow for a sore throat.
3. Apply undiluted directly to the skin of your upper chest and throat for bronchitis.
4. Place a drop on your thumb and apply to the roof of your mouth for a headache.
5. Put 10-12 drops in a size OO capsule undiluted and swallow daily for longevity.
6. For acne, take internally and apply to the skin diluted with Young Living’s V-6 carrier oil.
7. Put directly on the soles of your feet to protect you from colds and flu.
8. Breathe in the vapors when you have lung congestion.
9. Use to clean pet cages, creating a healthier environment for them.
10. Add to your dishwasher for cleaner dishes.
11. Add to your laundry cycle for cleaner clothes.
12. Add to your mop water for cleaner floors.
13. Mix with water to make a spray to repel insects on your flowers and plants.
14. Use to dissolve the gummy adhesive on price labels.
15. Apply to bee and wasp stings to neutralize the toxin and relieve the pain.
16. Apply to gums to prevent and treat gum disease.
17. Apply orally to maintain healthy teeth and reduce cavities.
18. Apply to gums and teeth for pain relief from toothaches.
19. Diffuse in homes or business to solve mold problems.
20. Add to orange juice and drink to reduce phlegm and congestion.
21. Apply to broken bones or joints for pain relief and to hasten healing.
22. Put a drop in your cup of tea for flavor and to maintain health.
23. Put on the tip of your tongue to help you stop smoking.
24. Put on cold sores and canker sores to make them disappear.
25. For warts, apply topically, inhale and ingest in capsules to make them disappear.
26. Rub on sore joints to relieve arthritis pain.
27. Drink a few drops in water or juice every three hours to stop a cold.
28. Place a drop on the tongue and a drop in a glass of water every day for herpes.
29. Rub on the bottoms of children’s feet for protection before school every day.
30. Diffuse in the house as your children come home from school every day to kill airborne bacteria.
31. Mix 50:50 with V6 vegetable oil and rub on daily for relief of shingles.
32. Apply a drop on wound of a cat or dog to enhance healing.
33. Diffuse in the home or office to stimulate a cheerful mood.
34. Diffuse in the office to increase concentration and work efficiency.
35. Diffuse in your place of business to ward off germs.
36. Diffuse in the classroom to reduce student sickness and absenteeism.
37. Put a few drops in your carpet steamer/cleaner to disinfect carpet.
38. Mix a few drops with honey or agave in a teaspoon for cough relief.
39. Breathe and apply for sinus headaches.
40. Put a drop on a pimple to make it shrink and disappear.
41. For laryngitis put a drop under your tongue to restore your voice.
42. Inhale for relief of allergy symptoms.
43. Take a capsule full every day for relief of Lyme disease symptoms.
44. Carry a bottle on every flight to protect you from germs on the plane.
45. Drop in the heat/AC vents of a hotel to rid it of airborne germs.
46. Mix with baking soda to clean bathtubs.
47. Apply undiluted to the toes and feet to combat fungus.
48. Apply to poison ivy rashes (may need to be diluted with vegetable oil) to relieve the itch.
49. Drop Thieves Oil Blend on a cloth to remove permanent marker stains.
50. Sanitize pierced earrings by cleaning with Thieves Oil Blend.
51. Rub on the big toe before retiring to help with proper vision.
52. Applying Thieves Oil Blend, diluted 1 drop oil to 5 drops V-6 Mixing Oil, may be helpful in soothing pinkeye
and other eye inflammations. (Do not get in the eye.)
53. Apply 1 drop of Thieves Oil Blend onto toothbrush to sanitize.
54. Use for bathrooms and toilets to sanitize and freshen.
55. Use to cut grease on kitchen counters and stovetops.
56. Use to mop floors to clean and disinfect.
57. Apply to hands to remove stubborn, sticky substances like tree sap.
58. Use to wash fruits and vegetables from the supermarket.
59. Add to the water in your vacuum cleaner/steamer to cleanse the air and disinfect the carpet.
60. Spray along ant trails in the house to keep them out.
61. Use to wipe chairs and furniture in school classrooms to cut down on student sickness.
62. Scrub old floors to remove old varnish and prepare for refinishing.
63. Clean upholstery.
64. Clean the upholstery and dashboard of your car.
65. Soak off burnt food in pots and skillets.
66. Wipe or soak garbage cans to get them clean, sanitary and smelling fresh.
67. For tough stains, pour it on as a pre-wash stain remover.
68. Use undiluted to clean and kill mold on walls and floors or degrease oven.
Diffuse the Thieves Oil Blend continuously for 24 hours in the room
containing mold. Determining the length of diffusion time is directly
related to the severity of mold. Clean visible mold with Thieves Household Cleaner.
TO PREVENT MOLD
a) Diffuse Thieves essential oil
b) Eliminate leaks and moisture.
c) Clean thoroughly using Thieves Household Cleaner
USES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL THIEVES LOZENGES
69. Take with the first sniffle and signs of a cold or sore throat to ward it off.
70. Take prior to singing performances to keep the voice strong and to hit the high notes.
71. Use to hasten the healing when a cold or flu has been contracted.
72. Suck on one as you enter an airplane to protect you from germs onboard.
USES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL THIEVES MOUTHWASH
73. Rinse daily for clean breath and to keep teeth and gums healthy.
74. Gargle (and swallow) before a singing engagement to clear mucus.
74-a. Put 1/2 to 1 teaspoon in water pic.
USES FOR THIEVES WATERLESS HAND PURIFIER
75. Use as a healthy alternative to soap and water to sanitize hands.
76. Rub on hands to make them soft, fresh and smooth.
77. Apply to face to clear acne.
USES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL THIEVES BAR SOAP
78. Rub on stains as a pre-wash stain remover.
79. Use as a deodorant or antibacterial hand soap.
USES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL THIEVES SPRAY
80. Spray on doorknobs in public restrooms to kill germs.
81. Spray in the throat to restore a lost voice.
82. Spray hands before and after shaking hands with a lot of people.
83. Spray in restrooms on airplanes to reduce airborne bacteria.
84. Spray on vegetables and fruits when washing them.
85. Carry for protection in countries with cholera, malaria or dysentery.
86. Use as an air freshener for cooking odors or other unwanted smells.
87. Take to the gym and spray all the equipment you use.
88. Take to the supermarket and use to disinfect shopping cart handles.
89. Use in the classroom for desks, tables and other items handled by children.
90. Spray in your mouth and throat at first onset of cold or bronchitis.
91. Spray on shower stalls and bathroom walls to kill and remove mold.
USES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL THIEVES TOOTHPASTE
92. Brush every day to prevent cavities and gum disease.
93. Use when teeth have been damaged or broken to help them heal.
94. Use to prevent or heal gum disease.
95. Apply as an underarm deodorant.
USES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL THIEVES WIPES
96. Wipe doorknobs and other things touched by the public.
97. Wipe dirty piano keys to clean and disinfect.
98. Use to clean children’s hands when traveling.
99. Use on the steering wheel and gearshift of your vehicle.
100. Use on public telephones to remove germs.
101. Use on public computer keyboards and mice.
boy oh boy, do i feel clean after reading all that!!! ;)
here's how i make my
own antibacterial/microbial wipes...
1/2 cup grain alcohol (vodka)
10 drops 4 thieves oils
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon glycerin
take folds of soft paper towels & lay side by side in a shallow dish.
combine all wet ingredients in a glass bowl mix well.
pour mixture over paper towels and press to saturate.
stack the wet paper towels in a clean airtight container
and cover. repeat with more towels until the liquid is all used up.
any extra liquid can be kept in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
to use, i put some moist towelettes into a ziplox baggie and put in my
purse, car, or anywhere i'd like to have ....
the power of SUPER-WET-ONES!!
so with herbals in the air and a song in my heart
i sally forth to meet the day with a smile
have a great one!